Monday 23 May 2011

Laugh? I nearly died!


On Saturday it was the fourth anniversary of my mum’s death, someone I follow on Twitter lost a parent and I met up with a friend whose father is terminally ill. Not much scope for laughter there, is there? Except that, well, there is. I made a joke about my mum being to blame for The Rapture, the tweep got straight back on the joke horse and my friend did what any right-minded person would do and went to a club and laughed at fey indie boys. It all got me to thinking about how we use humour to cope with death and the spectre of it.


When my mum was dying, my family spent many hours in the relatives’ room outside ITU at the Royal Free Hospital. We saw other families come and go as their loved ones improved or ceased to be, and what struck me was how much everyone in that depressing little room laughed.
The whole situation is so absolutely bizarre and terrifying, that a quick dose of mild hysteria is sometimes just what the doctor ordered and allows you to express the sheer depth of your fears without frightening the bejeezuz out of your loved ones or uttering some of the many unspeakable truths about a long drawn out death – namely that once they’re gone you will be wholly relieved not to have to traipse up the hospital any more, you’ll get to talk about something other than catheters and blood sugar levels and you might feel just the tiniest bit of relief that your days won’t be so inconvenienced and you can get back to having a life.


Sometimes life is so eye-wateringly bad that the only way to cope with the prospect of death is to laugh heartily in the face of it. My mum was a funny lady, not always intentionally and never more so than when stroke-ridden and confused. Sorry, but there it is. Watching her try and give herself her insulin injection but not being co-ordinated enough to locate her arse from her elbow (as it were) was terrible, but also terribly funny as she had a major fit of the giggles as she near stabbed herself in the head and we ended up wrestling the needle out of her hand. Of course, I cried buckets about it after; seeing this active, intelligent woman reduced to a bumbling, confused mess is not all that funny, but at the time the only way to deal with the situation was to laugh at it. It was also funny when she rose from near death, drugged up, traecheotomied up, with laboured breathing to vilify my dad for having the cheek to go home from the hospital for a break; “the GALL of that man!” she hissed and we all collapsed in fits. Poor dad, he didn’t deserve it but the sight of this tiny, dying woman screwing up her waning strength to slag off her husband was class!


I’m hardly the first to note the connection between grief and humour; clever people have done studies on it, but the amount of stuff I did find to laugh at in the lead up to and the aftermath of my mum’s death took my by surprise. Some of it made me feel guilty, some of it made me cry but all of it helped me come to terms with losing my mum. It still does.

10 comments:

  1. It's very true, i think we all just cope the best way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully explained. Your mum was lucky to have such a caring sensitive daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this and completely connected with it. When I lost my father it was the worst time of my life but we found humour in the dark times to help us pull through it.

    And I always say, I can't change the past. My dad has gone. But he left me an important legacy-I cherish my life. I now know how fleeting it is and we should take the time to look at the clouds, smell the rain and really appreciate what I have. My dad wouldn't have chosen to leave but he would be proud that I got something from it. X x x

    Huge hugs for you x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, I am please it resounded with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or should that be resonated? Whatever, glad you liked it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post - resounded/resonated with me too. I lost my Mum recently, and had exactly the same experience in the hospital - we were all sitting around Mum's bed, and we laughed as much as we cried. And it felt just right, not inappropriate at all. Mum couldn't move or speak at that point, but she looked distressed when anyone was crying. However, when we were all joking and laughing together we could see the corners of her mouth twitch, as if she was trying to laugh too. I know that would have been comforting to her, to know that we could still make each other laugh in the face of what we were going through.

    Since she died, we've all had plenty of tears together, but also plenty of laughter. It's a coping mechanism, and it is also, I know, exactly what Mum would have wanted. She always had a wicked sense of humour, so she'd want us to remember her and smile.

    Anyway, that was a bit long winded! Just wanted to say thank you for writing this post, and for articulating so well some of the things that I've been thinking. I hope things are getting easier for you, and I'm glad to hear you have happy memories of your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Woodsiegirl, really pleased if this helps you in any way at this horrible time x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for writing this, reading it has brought back some memories of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those hisses through tracheotomies from our tiny, dying mums are heartbreakingly noble aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mum died just 2 weks ago and I know it will get easier eventually...but not yet!

    ReplyDelete